Saturday 3 November 2012

Home made bean bags

 
I am lucky enough to have a sewing machine.
 I also have very limited sewing ability but figured this was enough skill to make my own set of bean bags.
 
Knowing how much fun and how many games you can play with beanbags, I was very excited to get started!
 
I purchased a couple metres of calico from spotlight, although less than a metre was enough! It cost around $3
 
 
I chose calico so we could paint and decorate the fabric ourselves! We just used some cheap fabric paint and paintbrushes and rollers!
You could easily buy printed fabric for your beanbags.
 
I did think about stamping on letters and numbers onto the calico as we could play more games with them like that but it was evident that Miss M just wanted to paint. I have plenty calico left over so plan to make some more like this at a later date.
 
 
Then I roughly measured how wide I wanted the bags and cut the material into strips. Then cut those strips into rectangle shapes.
I didn't want the beanbags too big and for ease when they are sewn together make a square shape.
If your adventurous you could make different shaped beanbags, which I also my attempt at a later date.
 
 
Simply fold in half with the outside face of you fabric on the inside.
Sew along the sides, leaving the top open.
 
Once you have done that, turn your beanbag so the printed side of the fabric is on the outside.
 
I filled my beanbag with rice. I choose rice as, every now and then I can wake them in the microwave and heat them up to get rid of any germs.
Be careful not to fill them up too much. You want to keep them quite light!
 
Now all you have to do is sew across the top. Create a little seem for a cleaner finish!
 
There you go, you have a gorgeous set of home made bean bags!
 

 
Check out this post Busy Bean Bag Play for ideas on games and activities to use your beanbags!
 

 

Katey
 

 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. wow they look fab and fun to make will have to do this with my Mr 7

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I made triangular ones but like these too! Mine are rice too, never thought to heat them but will give that a shot tomorrow! Thanks for an informative post! :)

    ReplyDelete